Thursday, November 20, 2008

Adorn the Message

Greetings:

1 Peter 3:3-4 NLT - "Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."

Peter is not teaching that we shouldn't be concerned with our appearance. He is saying if the outward appearance detracts from the message, then it should be altered. However, too often we don't even stop to consider what we look like.

Often when I am not coordinated in my shirts, tie, and jacket - I will say - my wife didn't pick out my clothes today. I had to dress myself. Sometimes I can choose the worst combination of clothing, and I have found it distracts from what I am saying. Have you seen the commercial where the guy is interviewing for a job and the coffee stain on his shirt is speaking louder than he is?

How we look conveys a lot to our students. Our appearance provides a frame. When we select a frame for a prized picture, we want one that compliments but doesn't draw attention away from the picture. Imagine going into an Art Gallery and everyone is commenting on the frames and not the artwork. Someone messed up.

Start being conscious of how you "frame" your lesson. Does your appearance hinder or help you as a teacher? Make some changes if necessary.

For Kingdom Education,
Doc

from WTB "Teaching with Style" (c) 1994


No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------