Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Pattern of Prayer - Fellowship



Matthew 6:12 (HCSB) - And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

As we continue in our study of Jesus' Model Prayer, let us consider this phrase. We have seen Jesus challenge us in our prayers to consider our relationship (Matthew 6:9b, HCSB), our worship Matthew 6:9c, HCSB), our citizenship (Matthew 6:10a, HCSB), and our partnership (Matthew 6:10b, HCSB) - in other words our focus on God first. We next moved into our Stewardship (Matthew 6:11, HCSB). Now, let us consider our fellowship with God and each other.

He begins by reminding us about what has divided our fellowship. Sin. The Aramaic word for sin (opheílēma) is also the word for debt - for something owed. A debt is a legal obligation. We are obligated to observe God's law and do His will. However, we fail. Plain and simple. We are in debt to God. The glorious message of the gospel is that God forgives the sins of those who repent and trust Jesus Christ! But, what if we sin after we are saved? First, we can never lose our salvation - it is final. John 10:28 (HCSB) - "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish—ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand." That is Jesus speaking, and He never lies. Paul taught in Romans 8:38, 39 HCSB) - "For I am persuaded that not even death or life, angels or rulers, things present or things to come, hostile powers, height or depth, or any other created thing will have the power to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord!"

Realize that our disobedience does not make us unaccepted by God, it means we are unacceptable to our Father. What a difference those two little words make. When we sin, we don't need forever forgiveness, we need fellowship forgiveness. (Take time today to read 1 John 1:5-10). We may feel unworthy to come to the Throne, but we need to remember that we are not unwelcome at the throne. This does not mean that we take sin lightly - no, we need to consider the horrendous way we appear to our Father with our sin. Thanks be to Christ we delivered us form this separation.

As forgiven sinners, we MUST be forgiving to those fellow Christians who have been seduced and fallen into sin. If we refuse to forgive our brothers, we must watch that we ourselves do not fall into further sin - Galatians 6:1 (HCSB) - "Brothers, if someone is caught in any wrongdoing, you who are spiritual should restore such a person with a gentle spirit, watching out for yourselves so you also won’t be tempted." We must seek to restore the fellowship between the Father, other believers, and ourselves.

When God stores, He forgives. But there are consequences to sin. It is like he pulls the nails out of the boards - but the holes remain. In Joel 2:25 (HCSB) we find a beautiful promise from God - "I will repay you for the years that the swarming locust ate, the young locust, the destroying locust, and the devouring locust—" God can cleanse and He can restore. Charles Spurgeon preached these words on this passage - "LOST years can never be restored literally. Time once past is gone forever. Let no man make any mistake about this or trifle with the present moment under any notion that the flying hour will ever wing its way back to him. As well call back the north wind or fill again the emptied rain cloud, or put back into their quiver the arrows of the lord of day. As well bid the river which has hastened onward to the sea bring back its rolling floods, as imagine that the years that have once gone can ever be restored to us. It will strike you at once that the locusts did not eat the years—the locusts ate the fruits of the years' labor—the harvests of the fields."* Yet, God can still bless us. Do we deserve it? Not on your life. This is pure grace - plain and simple.

Restore our fellowship with You, Father, and with each other.

Muse today over what needs to be repented of before God, and are their those who you are refusing to forgive? Then do something about it.

Lord, I'm Coming Home
William J. Kirkpatrick

I’ve wandered far away from God,
Now I’m coming home;
The paths of sin too long I’ve trod,
Lord, I’m coming home. 

Refrain 
Coming home, coming home,
Nevermore to roam,
Open wide Thine arms of love,
Lord, I’m coming home. 

I’ve wasted many precious years,
Now I’m coming home;
I now repent with bitter tears,
Lord, I’m coming home. 

Refrain 

I’m tired of sin and straying, Lord,
Now I’m coming home;
I’ll trust Thy love, believe Thy Word,
Lord, I’m coming home. 

Refrain 

My soul is sick, my heart is sore,
Now I’m coming home;
My strength renew, my hope restore,
Lord, I’m coming home. 

Refrain 

My only hope, my only plea,
Now I’m coming home;
That Jesus died, and died for me.
Lord, I’m coming home. 

Refrain 

I need His cleansing blood, I know,
Now I’m coming home;
O wash me whiter than the snow,
Lord, I’m coming home. 

Refrain


* http://www.ccel.org/ccel/spurgeon/sermons35.xx.html





No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------