Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Colossians 2:7


Here we find three verbs that almost seem to clash in their imagery. The first word “rooted” (Greek rhizoo) is in the perfect tense and means it is a completed work. It has the imagery of a living tree that has its roots firmly set in the soil. It is anchored and alive because of this root system. The Colossian believers were “rooted” in Jesus Christ, their faith was what gave them life and vitality.[1]

Paul then continues with the word for “built up” in the Greek is epoikodomeo and it is the present tense, meaning it is an on-going process. It carries an imagery of a building or structure. It is the image of an ever-expanding structure. It speaks to the progressive increase of one’s union with Christ.[2]

This anchor and continued growth are what has established (Greek bebaioo), confirmed or firmed up their faith. Paul is reminding them of what they had learned that brought them first to Christ, and had been continuing to grow their faith and understanding of what they had. And, because of this progression, the believers in Colossae were providing an abundance (Greek perisseuo) of gratitude (Greek eucharistia) for what they had. This was the natural consequence of their living a life encompassed by Jesus Christ. 

Paul will now turn to the concern he had for the Colossian believers in their dealing with the area of human philosophy that was threatening their ranks.

Prayer: Anchor of our Souls, I humbly come to You today to seek You to speak into my life the truths that are needed to walk the walk and talk the talk. Spirit of the Living God, I thank You that I am firmly anchored in my Savior. I seek You to build upon this firm foundation a life that grows continually in my association with You. Draw me near, purge my life, and buils me up. I am Yours, and I am willing for You to do whatever it takes to make me like my Precious Savior. Amen.

_____________________________
[1] Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (2008). A Commentary on the Old and New Testaments - Volume 3 (Vol. 3). Peabody, Massachusetts, USA: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc. Page 446. 
[2] Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (2008). A Commentary on the Old and New Testaments - Volume 3 (Vol. 3). Peabody, Massachusetts, USA: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc. Page 446.



No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------