Today, the church I am Transitional Pastor at will begin a series of five meetings on Revival. We are privileged to have a student from Southwestern Theological Seminary come and lead our services. We began praying for God to move in our hearts back in January and will continue to pray for Him to ignite the fire in each of us. we have been praying for Eric Dyer as he is preparing his heart and messages to come be with us. Over the next few days of devotions, I will be sharing some thoughts about revival.
Psalms 85:6-7 - "Will You not revive us again so that Your people may rejoice in You? Show us Your faithful love, Lord, and give us Your salvation."
Today, we will muse upon when is revival needed?
The easy answer is simply, whenever the love of God's people has grown cold.
Consider the symptoms of the needs. (I know I am going to step on toes – but be comforted that this will hit all of us somewhere).
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN CHURCH DINNERS ARE BETTER ATTENDED THAN PRAYER MEETINGS.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE DO NOT LOVE HIM AS WE ONCE DID.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE WOULD RATHER WATCH TV THAN READ THE BIBLE AND PRAY.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE SELDOM THINK THOUGHTS OF ETERNITY.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE MAKE LITTLE EFFORT TO WITNESS TO THE LOST SINNER.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE HAVE TIME FOR RECREATION AND SPORTS, BUT NOT FOR BIBLE STUDY AND PRAYER.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN OUR CHRISTIANITY IS JOYLESS AND DRY.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN OUR HEARTS OUR ARE COLD AND ARE EYES ARE DRY.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE ARE BORED WITH WORSHIP.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN BELIEVERS CAN BE AT ODDS WITH EACH OTHER AND NOT FEEL COMPELLED TO PURSUE RECONCILIATION.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE AREN"T EXERCISING FAITH AND BELIEVING GOD FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN THE FIRE HAS GONE OUT IN OUR HEARTS, OUR MARRIGES, AND THE CHURCH.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN THE FAMILY IS NOT PRAYING TOGETHER.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN OUR SINGING IS HALF-HEARTED AND OUR WORSHIP IS LIFELESS.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN PEOPLE HAVE TO BE BEGGED TO GIVE AND TO SERVE IN THE CHURCH.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE KNOW THE TRUTH IN OUR HEADS THAT WE ARE NOT PRACTICING IN OUR LIVES.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE WOULD RATHER MAKE MONEY THAN GIVE MONEY.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN PEOPLE HAVE TO BE ENTERTAINED TO BE DRAWN TO CHURCH.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE ARE UNMOVED BY THE FACT OVER 2.5 BILLION PEOPLE IN THE WORLD HAVE NEVER HEARD THE NAME OF JESUS.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE ARE UNMOVED BY THE FACT THAT OVER 5.6 MILLION ARE UNSAVED IN NORTH CAROLINA.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN CHURCH SERVICES ARE PREDICTABLE AND BUSINESS AS USUAL.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE AREN’T SEEING REGULAR EVIDENCE OF THE SUPERNATURAL POWER OF GOD.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE ARE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT OUR CHILDREN’S EDUCATION AND THEIR ATHLETIC ACTIVITIES THAN ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THEIR SOULS.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE DON’T LONG FOR THE FELLOWSHIP OF GOD’S PEOPLE.
- WE NEED REVIVAL WHEN WE DID NOT SEE OURSELVES IN THIS LIST!
We must beware because often spiritual deterioration comes without our awareness.
- Samson had the power of God upon him, but he played around with sin and became helpless before the Philistines.
- The disciples had received power from Jesus Christ to heal and cast out demons, but couldn’t cast a demon out of a boy.
They had lost the power of God, but they were unaware that it was gone! Sampson lost it because of pride, the disciples lost it because of a lack of faith. Often the condition of our hearts is such that we are not aware of our need at the very time it is needed the most.
The flesh will fight against revival, for to have revival we must first admit that we have a need.
Revival is needed whenever the love of God's people has grown cold.
Prayer: Help me, Spirit, to see the condition of my own heart. I may pray for revival in my church, when in reality, revival is needed in my life. Strengthen me to be alive for You. You died for me, Jesus, the least I can do is live for You. Amen.