Friday, April 28, 2017

How to be an Un-leader

John Ruskin has been quoted as saying, "When a man is wrapped up in himself, he makes a pretty small package." 

In John's 3rd letter, verses 9-10 (NASB), he wrote about an un-leader. "I wrote something to the church; but Diotrephes, who loves to be first among them, does not accept what we say. For this reason, if I come, I will call attention to his deeds which he does, unjustly accusing us with wicked words; and not satisfied with this, he himself does not receive the brethren, either, and he forbids those who desire to do so and puts them out of the church."

What is an un-leader? The prefix "un" means not. So, an un-leader is someone who is not a leader. The best definition of a leader is given by Dr. Howard Hendricks, "A leader is someone who leads." A great definition - short, sweet, and to the point. Diotrephes was a first century example of someone who pushed himself as a leader, but in reality in God's view he was an un-leader. What made him so?

Quickly, consider he was an un-servant. He wanted to be first all the time. He was un-teachable. He refused to listen to the teaching of John. He was un-just. He used verbal bombs against those he did not like or who opposed him. And, he was un-hospitable. He didn't like making others feel important because he always sought the importance.

Take a quick inventory today. Honestly. Be truthful. Do any of these accusations fit me, or you? If so, can we learn from this and let God change us. Can we let Him make us into the leaders that He has called His followers to be.

Prayer: Gracious Lord, I want to be what You want me to be. As Your child, You have placed me in leadership for those around me. I may not want to be a leader, but You have saved me and sanctified me to lead others to You. Lord, if any of the above areas are true in me, make it known, cleanse me, and use me for Your honor and glory. Amen.




No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------