Thursday, June 7, 2018

Flattery can be devastating




June 7

Daily Bible Reading: 2 Chronicles 23 – 25

Verse of the Day: 2 Chronicles 24:17 – “Now after the death of Jehoiada came the princes of Judah, and made obeisance to the king. Then the king hearkened unto them.”

Joash starts his reign at the age of 7 under the tutelage of Jehoiada. The first half of this chapter finds Joash prospering and rebuilding the Temple of God. As long as Jehoiada was alive the Temple was the center of religious worship. But, here in the middle of the chapter, Jehoiada dies. Joash begins to be flattered by the leaders around him, and the second half of the chapter finds him turning away from God and doing evil.

As I ponder this chapter today, I ask myself, am I like Joash? Did I start out well only to listen to those who flatter me and turn away from God? No one is immune from flattery, and the disease can be devastating.

Prayer: Jesus, come into my life and vaccinate me against those who would lead me astray by flattering speech. Amen.









No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------