The Lower School spent two days at the ACSI Convention in Washington, D.C. right before Thanksgiving. The emphasis was on Transforming lives. We are called to reach children with the good news, and to help them become Mission minded in this world.
In her book The Mission Minded Child: Raising a New Generation to Fulfill God's Purpose (Colorado Springs: Authentic Publishing, 2007, pp. 2-4), Ann Dunagan lists some of the distinctives of kids who are developing a heart for missions.
A mission minded child...
- ...dreams of fulfilling God's destiny.
- ...May want to become a missionary--or a teacher or a doctor or a newspaper reporter or a state governor or a pastor or a businessperson or an airplane pilot or an author or a florist or a mother--as long as its what God wants.
- ...prays for that next-door neighbor.
- ...is not a picky eater!
- ...takes home a photo magnet from the visiting missionary family and puts it on the kitchen refrigerator.
- ...is healthy, active, and adventurous.
- ...spends a summer night sleeping outside on the trampoline, gazes up at a sky filled with twinkling stars, and realizes God's plan is infinitely bigger than his or her own backyard.
- ...imagines rollerblading on the Great Wall of China!
- ...recognizes the names of David Livingstone, Amy Carmichael, Hudson Taylor, and Loren Cunningham.
- ...knows how to use chopsticks.
For Kingdom Education,