Monday, June 16, 2014

Abiding in Christ - Word Dweller



1 John 2:14 (HCSB) - "I have written to you, children, because you have come to know the Father. I have written to you, fathers, because you have come to know the One who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, God’s word remains in you, and you have had victory over the evil one."




Continuing in the study of what Abiding in Christ means, we have come to the understanding that abiding in Christ means that a person walks and is in fellowship with Him. We already noted the words of the prophet Amos - "Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?" If we are in fellowship with God, we are walking with Christ in an intimate and continual way. Our verse at the start of this musing speaks that we ought to dwell in God's Word - and more importantly - it should dwell in us.

"God's word remains in you...." What a great statement to be given to a believer. I desire above all other things that people recognize me as a person that the Word of God dwells in them. I know that I have failed (miserably at times) to display that I have God's Word dwelling (abiding) in me. I have many times gone to my knees and asked God's forgiveness in not displaying Him in my actions or words.

Here the apostle John says that those who are mature in the faith are to remember that they have accepted Jesus Christ - the message given from the very beginning (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) that Jesus is the Son of God, He died and rose again, and offers us salvation, forgiveness, and reconciliation to God the Father. This is the first most important step anyone must take to be accepted into God's family. Then John goes on to say to the growing Christian that they are strong when God's Word is dwelling in them. When they read, study and apply God's Word, then it will live inside of us. And this dwelling of God's Word will give us the ultimate victory over the evil one - Satan.

How do we have the word dwell in us? Start by reading it. Then memorize the Scriptures. Everyone can memorize Scripture. To say we can't is making God a liar. Psalm 119:9,11 (HCSB) says - "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping Your word. 11 I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You." And we see in Colossians 3:16 (NKJV) - "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom...." 

Today, make a commitment to God to memorize at least one verse every month. and each verse means that God is dwelling (abiding) in your heart, mind and person.


No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------