Friday, February 3, 2017

Parents to Children to Grandchildren to..............

Exodus 20:12 - " Honor your father and mother so that you’ll live a long time in the land that God, your God, is giving you."

We are familiar with the Fifth Commandment of the Ten Commandments. The first four commands are in relation to God and man, the last six are in relation to man to man. I have found it interesting that the first of these man to man commandments deals with our relationship with our parents. As I have mused over this today, I realized that before we can truly treat other people right, we learn this from treating our parents right.

I spent this morning visiting my Mom in Williamsburg, VA at the Assisted Living Facility she is at. She was doing well, some of the usual aches and pains, and was excited to see Linda and I. We popped in without telling her we were coming and this added to her surprise. I have always attempted to show honor and respect to my parents and still do with my Mom. My Dad passed away 11 years ago this coming April, and to this day, I am nor sure if there is a man I know that has modeled the Christian life better than he did. My Mom will soon be 89, and she means so much to me. At times we have had our differences, but I still seek to honor her in any way I can.

This week's devotions have been about my Grandkids, so you probably wonder why I shifted to my Mom. Today, all the Grands were in School - (1 High School, 1 Middle School, 1 Elementary School, and 1 Pre-school) so Linda and I took the time to visit Mom. She is very proud of her Grandkids and Great-Grandkids. So, tomorrow we will be back taking time with the Grandkids. The week of enjoying the time together will soon be over. I must admit that coming here - Linda and I had some fear and trembling - it has been quite a while since we had to get kids to school on time and all the other activities. So far, I believe we have done quite well. 

I can admit to one thing - Linda and I are not as young as we once were. I believe a week of keeping up with the Grands may take a couple of weeks to recover from.

Prayer: Father, we praise You for Your design of the family. As You set the example of a loving and righteous Father, we men should also do the same. As we believers are Your children, we should model the same respect, awe, and reverence for our parents as we do to You. Father, I thank You for my Mom and Dad who have modeled the correct way to walk. I thank You for their example and love. I pray that I have been that type of example for my children, and now for my grandchildren. Thank You Jesus, this has been a great day. Amen.


No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------