Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Take a Hike!



Deuteronomy 11:19 - "And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."

God instructed parents to teach their children about Him and His statutes all the time. He lists sitting at home, walking outside, getting ready for bed, and arising in the morning. In other words, there is never a bad time to teach about Him.

Today, I had the privilege of going to the Castle Park in Smithfield, VA with my middle granddaughter and taking a hike. Just the two of us. For about 35 minutes we walked the trail around the park. We talked about a variety of things in her life. She did most of the talking and I did what I can do best, listen.

She shared about friends, school, future plans, and a myriad of things in that short period of time. We looked at rootballs of fallen trees, winter fields, leaves, clouds, the sun, and swampy land. We stopped and checked the map and decided which route to take, and then off we went. It was, for me (and I am sure for her, too) a very refreshing and enjoyable way to spend time together - one on one, just the two of us.

When we got back to the car, she talked about things she had done with her Aunt Grace. And, then we slipped into McDonald's and replaced the calories we had spent with an ice cream cone. Sitting and talking some more. I know that I came away with some mighty fine memories. I know that she did too.

So, next time you want to connect with the younger generation (your kids, grandkids, etc.) take my advice and go Take a Hike!

Prayer: Spirit of Comfort and Encouragement, help us to see that the way to connect with family, friends, and even at times, enemies is to spend time together. Father, I thank You that You have given me two ears to listen with. Teach me to use them more than my mouth. Help me to see the importance of doing things with my family. Help me to seek ways to be one on one with each one. And, Spirit, teach me that my Heavenly Father wants to do this with me. May I find time each day to "take a hike" with the Father. He is a good listener and totally cares about my issues. As I learn from the world around me, may I apply the lessons to my soul. I love You, Father, and I am so glad that I can take time with You each day. In the precious name of Jesus, and by His Authority I pray, Amen.





No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------