In a few days, the church I am Transitional Pastor at will begin a series of five meetings on Revival. We are privileged to have a student from Southwestern Theological Seminary come and lead our services. We began praying for God to move in our hearts back in January and will continue to pray for Him to ignite the fire in each of us. we have been praying for Eric Dyer as he is preparing his heart and messages to come be with us. Over the next few days of devotions, I will be sharing some thoughts about revival.
Let us continue to consider a verse often used for a call to revival. While the context is focused upon Israel, the truths can apply to us today.
2 Chron. 7:14 - "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Humble ourselves, seek His face, seek purity, and finally, we must claim His Promise. “Then I will hear their prayers, forgive their sins and heal their land” Something that blows my mind when I think about it – God wants to send real revival more than we want to receive it!
God’s Revival Promises:
- We will receive His favor. “He will hear from heaven
- We will receive His forgiveness. “Forgive their sin”
- We will receive His fruitfulness. “Heal their land”
God is saying to America, “I will heal any part of your society if society will just let me heal them!”
President Woodrow Wilson in his last speech to America said these words, “Our civilization will not survive materially unless it is redeemed spiritually.”
William Bennett is a great American, previous Secretary of Education, and a compelling writer. He wrote in his best seller, America: The Last Best Hope,
“Material gains will never be enough for America, if we achieve full employment, have great economic growth, have cities of gold, but our children have not learned how to walk in goodness, justice and mercy, then the American experiment has failed.”
I ask –
- What good is it if our 401k’s soar in value?
- What good is it if every home has 2 Mercedes Benz in the garage?
- What good is it if every wrist has a Rolex Watch?
- What good is it if we have Gucci Wallets tucked in all our Calvin Kline Jeans?
- What good is it if we all have Nike Shoes?
- What good is all of this, if our homes have no favor with God, our lives have no forgiveness from Jesus and our daily walk has no fruitfulness in Spirit?
If we conquer pride, continue in prayer, commit to purity, and claim His promise – we will have revival!
Prayer: Father. we seek You today. Revive our land. Revive our towns. Revive our cities. Revive our churches. Revive our families. Revive us! Amen.