In 1666, Thomas Watson wrote a book entitled The Godly Man's Picture. In it he gives 24 characteristics of what he believed a Godly Man looked like. One author referred to him as the original Promise Keeper.
Today, I am going to list these 24 characteristics - men, let us measure ourselves to this measuring stick.
- A man of knowledge
- A man moved by faith
- A man fired by love
- A man like God
- A man careful about the worship of God
- A man who serves God, not men
- A man who prizes Christ
- A man who weeps
- A man who loves the Word
- A man who has the Spirit of God residing in him
- A man of humility
- A man of prayer
- A man of sincerity
- A heavenly man
- A zealous man
- A patient man
- A thankful man
- A man who loves the saints
- A man who does not indulge himself in any sin
- A man who is good in his relationships
- A man who does spiritual things in a spiritual manner
- A man thoroughly trained in religion
- A man who walks with God
- A man who strives to be an instrument for making others godly
Read this list again, and again. Men, let us seek to be a Godly Man.
Prayer: Father, make me a Godly man. I want to be a Godly man. I crave to be a Godly man. My desire is to be a Godly man. I can only be this, by the power of Your Holy Spirit working in me. I surrender all, all to You I give, make me a Godly man. Amen.