Thursday, May 29, 2008

Teachers 'R Readers

Greetings:

In 2 Timothy, Paul writes to Timothy from prison, “When I was in Troas, I left my coat there with Carpus. So when you come, bring it to me, along with my books, particularly the ones written on parchment.”

C. H. Spurgeon comments on this passage, “He is inspired, yet he wants books. He has been preaching at least 30 years, yet he wants books. He’s seen the Lord, yet he wants books. He’s had a wider experience than most men, yet he wants books. He’s been caught up to heaven and has heard things that are unlawful to utter, yet he wants books. He’s written a major part of the New Testament, yet he wants books.”

Reading is fundamental. We emphasize this to our students, but do we model it ourselves? I believe that we grow and become better at what we do if we take the time to read. I have just finished my 20th book this year. I devour books – not everyone can. Nevertheless, you should be able to read at least four books a year. In fact, a statistic I just read says that if you set aside 15 minutes a day, you will read about two dozen books a year. That’s over 1,000 books in an average lifetime.

So – read.

For Kingdom Education,
Doc

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------