Proverbs 20:27 (CSB) - "The Lord’s lamp sheds light on a person’s life, searching the innermost parts."
What is a taboo? One definition I read said that it is a rule against doing or saying something in a particular culture or religion. Today, as we ponder the truths that are in this chapter of the book, see eight taboos that we are warned about.
- Taboo #1 is Chemical and Alcohol Addiction in verse 1.
- Taboo #2 is Disobedience to Civil Law in verse 2.
- Taboo #3 is Violation of the Work Ethic in verse 4.
- Taboo #4 is Lack of Business Integrity in verse 10.
- Taboo #5 is Lack of Prudence in Business in verse 16.
- Taboo #6 is Participation in Gossip in verse 19.
- Taboo #7 is Disrespect for PArents in verse 20.
- And, Taboo #8 is Vengeance Against Your Enemies in verse 22.
So, as we read these verses today, meditate upon the importance of God selecting these 8 things. How many do we see in the culture around us? How often do we run up against these each day? And, most importantly, how many of these am I guilty of?
DId you notice #6? God often includes this sin with many of the more hideous sins. Some of my old-timers that I talk with say about a gossip - "A talebearer who will bring a bone, will also carry one." Gossip is addictive. God hates it. Jesus can deliver. 'Nuff said.
Prayer: Holy and Righteous God, give me a heart and mind that seeks to live in a way that pleases You. Help me to leave these taboos behind me, and take up the lifestyle that radiates You to those I come in contact with. May I shine Your light into this world. Amen.