Thursday, January 26, 2017

A Respite and Retreat - Part 3


The Psalmist David expressed it so well - Creation does proclaim the very glory of God. As we took the time to rest and renew, we were surrounded by the very beauty of God. We took two hikes today and saw views that were lovely. We climbed and climbed up, up, up until it seemed that there couldn't be any higher ways - only to be able to look out over the grandeur of the area. I can honestly say, even with using the treadmill twice a day, my legs at the end of the day told me that I had really used them hard.

I love to be able periodically to pull aside from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and to, as they used to say, "stop and smell the roses." (I have to admit that in the mountains in January there really wasn't any roses.)

As the day pulled to a close, we were able to sit on the front porch of the cabin and watch the sun set over the distant hills. Pinks, purples, yellows, golds, all stretching across the sky as the sun descended below the horizon. Peace, quiet, only birds singing and squirrels scampering. The beautiful soft pale blue sky went through the kaleidoscope of colors settling into the velvety inky black of the night dotted with the points of light called stars. As I admired the handiwork of my Father in Heaven, I thought back to David's song in Psalm 19 (verses 1 - 6):

"The heavens are telling the glory of God,
and the firmament proclaims the work of his hands.
Every day they pour forth speech,
and every night they tell knowledge.
There is no speech and there are no words;
their sound is inaudible.
Yet in all the world their line goes out,
and their words to the end of the world.
In them he has pitched a tent for the sun,
and it is like a bridegroom
who comes out of his bridal chamber.
It is glad like a strong man
to run its course.
Its rising is from one end of the heavens
and its circuit to the other end of them;
and nothing is hidden from its heat."

Prayer: Creator, I pause and revisit my thoughts about You. Only You could design such a palette of colors to decorate this planet. As Your child, I admire and release my squeals of delight at the variety of pleasures that only You can release. My heart is lifted in praise, my soul does worship You, my mind cannot comprehend all that You have created and provided for me, the pleasure of spending time with you alone, that is beyond my ability of words. So, in my feeble way, I will just humbly bow and say - Thank You! In Jesus' name, I come and pray, Amen.






No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------