Tuesday, June 23, 2020

THE GOSPEL OF JOY IN ADVERSE CIRCUMSTANCES - PHILIPPIANS - COMPANIONS IN LABOR

TEXT: PHILIPPIANS 2:19-30 (CSB): “Now I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon so that I too may be encouraged by news about you. For I have no one else like-minded who will genuinely care about your interests; all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know his proven character, because he has served with me in the gospel ministry like a son with a father. Therefore, I hope to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. I am confident in the Lord that I myself will also come soon.

But I considered it necessary to send you Epaphroditus—my brother, coworker, and fellow soldier, as well as your messenger and minister to my need— since he has been longing for all of you and was distressed because you heard that he was sick. Indeed, he was so sick that he nearly died. However, God had mercy on him, and not only on him but also on me, so that I would not have sorrow upon sorrow. For this reason, I am very eager to send him so that you may rejoice again when you see him and I may be less anxious. Therefore, welcome him in the Lord with great joy and hold people like him in honor, because he came close to death for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up what was lacking in your ministry to me.”

 

The Apostle Paul is chained, imprisoned – facing possible execution for his belief, his faith in the Lord. He was going through some very trying circumstances, still, he is able to pen these words of encouragement – of joy in the midst of turmoil. But, Paul writes of the joy that overshadows the tribulation. So, where does this come from? It comes from God and from one another.

 

We need each other more than ever in these times.  These are not times to draw apart – but to draw closer to one another. Paul uses Epaphroditus to picture this in four areas. We will look at one each day over four days. We first saw the picture that we are BROTHERS – THE CHRIST LIFE IS A FAMILY.

 

Today we find Paul painting a picture that we are COMPANIONS IN LABOR.

 

We are co-workers together in the Kingdom. Fellow workers.  Striving for the same goal.  Working together to see the same end result.  The Christian life is a life of labor.

 

A definition that I have founds states that a co-worker is “one with whom a person associates, a partner.”

 

As Kingdom citizens, we are to have the same goal and concern in life.  We are striving to do the work of Christ – the King. In the Old Testament, it asks the question – “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” (Amos 3:3, KJV) Paul touches on the answer to this – when he teaches here that we are companions, we walk together, we work together because we have the “same mind.” That doesn’t mean that we all think totally identically it means that we see a world lost, dying, going to Hell – and we hear the Father speaking through the Son saying – “go and make disciples of all nations”

 

Big task. Tremendous challenge. The Great Commission. However, we are not alone in the task. We are not called to be Lone Rangers. God places us together in churches to be brothers and companions. We mutually share love and fellowship in the work of Christ.  When others are down, wounded, under a heavy load – we as brothers and companions must come alongside with love and “bear one another’s burdens.”

Today, consider ways that you are a co-worker with others in the building of the Kingdom. What task is your part that God has called you to?

 

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------