Wednesday, June 24, 2020

THE GOSPEL OF JOY IN ADVERSE CIRCUMSTANCES - PHILIPPIANS - FELLOW SOLDIERS

TEXT: PHILIPPIANS 2:19-30 (CSB): “Now I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon so that I too may be encouraged by news about you. For I have no one else like-minded who will genuinely care about your interests; all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know his proven character, because he has served with me in the gospel ministry like a son with a father. Therefore, I hope to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. I am confident in the Lord that I myself will also come soon.

But I considered it necessary to send you Epaphroditus—my brother, coworker, and fellow soldier, as well as your messenger and minister to my need— since he has been longing for all of you and was distressed because you heard that he was sick. Indeed, he was so sick that he nearly died. However, God had mercy on him, and not only on him but also on me, so that I would not have sorrow upon sorrow. For this reason, I am very eager to send him so that you may rejoice again when you see him and I may be less anxious. Therefore, welcome him in the Lord with great joy and hold people like him in honor, because he came close to death for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up what was lacking in your ministry to me.”

 

The Apostle Paul is chained, imprisoned – facing possible execution for his belief, his faith in the Lord. He was going through some very trying circumstances, still, he is able to pen these words of encouragement – of joy in the midst of turmoil. But, Paul writes of the joy that overshadows the tribulation. So, where does this come from? It comes from God and from one another.

 

We need each other more than ever in these times.  These are not times to draw apart – but to draw closer to one another. Paul uses Epaphroditus to picture this in four areas. We will look at one each day over four days. We first saw the picture that we are BROTHERS – THE CHRIST LIFE IS A FAMILY. The second picture that Paul painted with Epaphroditus was that we are COMPANIONS IN LABOR. Now, let’s ponder today over picture number three – we are to be FELLOW SOLDIERS.

 

The Christian life is a battle.  We are wrapped up in the battle.

 

God constantly pictures us as soldiers – going forth to battle throughout the Old and New Testaments. Many of our Christian hymns picture this – consider these for example:

·      Onward Christian Soldiers

·      Soldiers of Christ, Arise

·      The Fight is On

·      Am I a Soldier of the Cross?

·      My God fights my Battles

 

But the best thing with God – we don’t go into battle alone. We go into battle together.  We are not sent to fight the war alone. Remember, we are not Lone Rangers. So, we must trust one another – we fight the same enemy – not each other. We must depend upon each other. As the battle heats up, we come to each other’s aid. We are called to seek the victory over the enemy – The World, The Flesh, and The Devil.

 

When the battle cry is sounded – when we see one another caught up in the conflict – we must shoulder our arms and join the fight.

In this day – we can’t afford to set the sidelines and let someone else fight – we must, we must, we must take our place in the front lines and fight.

 

Today, have you taken your suit of God’s Armor out of the closet? Have you put it on? Are you ready to face the enemy? Are you ready to come to your fellow believer’s aid when needed? It is imperative that we stay battle-ready. The fight is all around us. Join hands in the call of God today.

 

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------