Friday, September 19, 2008

Hogpen Theology

Greetings:

He also said: "A man had two sons. The younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of the estate I have coming to me.' So he distributed the assets to them. Not many days later, the younger son gathered together all he had and traveled to a distant country, where he squandered his estate in foolish living...." [Read Luke 15: 11-32]

We recognize this as the beginning of the parable about the Prodigal Son. Take a moment and read the entire account. As I mentioned yesterday, God cares about the individual. We saw a shepherd concerned with one missing sheep out of 100. Before this parable, Jesus spoke of a woman who had lost one of her 10 coins. Now, we have a father who has lost one of his two sons.

God is pictured in this account as a loving, patient Father who waits for His child to return. God has a heart that longs for the lost ones to find Him. He seeks them, searches for them, and then patiently waits for them to come home.

If God's heart is for those who are lost to come to Him - shouldn't we also be seeking to lead others to find Him? I know that I don't want to be like the other brother in this account - however, I must admit that by my actions often I am more like the brother than the father.

Today - help others by showing your concern for them - even if they smell like the hog pen and look like one too. A friend of mine used to say that God loves to hug dirty kids. Maybe, we should too.

For Kingdom Education,
Doc

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------