Thursday, July 16, 2020

THE GOSPEL OF JOY IN ADVERSE CIRCUMSTANCES - PHILIPPIANS - ICTC

TEXT: Philippians 4: 10-23 (CSB) – “I rejoiced in the Lord greatly because once again you renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me but lacked the opportunity to show it. I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I find myself. I know how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through him who strengthens me. Still, you did well by partnering with me in my hardship. And you Philippians know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving except you alone. For even in Thessalonica you sent gifts for my need several times. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that is increasing to your account. But I have received everything in full, and I have an abundance. I am fully supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you provided—a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send you greetings. All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar’s household. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.”

 

Yesterday we left off with the question of how do we acquire contentment?

 

We can use the life of  Paul to discover how it was that Paul could be content? Remember his circumstances? Let’s notice four words found in verse 11 above.

 

Paul states, “…for I have learned…”

 

This contentment was not natural. This was not a miracle that happened in his life. This is something that Paul learned – through the events and circumstances in his life.

 

The ups and downs of his life were smoothed out as he learned to respond – rather than react – to them. I want to share the Phillips Translation of verse 12 – “I know now how to live when things are difficult and I know how to live when things are prosperous. In general and in particular, I have learned the secret of eating well or going hungry – or facing either plenty or poverty.”

 

In The New Living Translation,  we read “I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.”

 

Also, consider how The Amplified Bible translates this verse, “I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want.”

 

Notice Paul says that he has learned the secret – and he is going to share it with us. Here is the secret.  Are you ready?  Do you want contentment in your life?  Do you want the secret of facing any and all circumstances in your life?

 

Paul in verse 11 says he has learned to get along happily with little or much, verse 12 – he has learned the secret of contentment, and he freely shares it in verse 13 - 

 

“I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

 

That’s it.  “I Can Through Christ.”  Repeat that with me.  Again, again, and again. I taught Middle School Bible students to call this the “ICTC.” Next time you feel that you can’t do what God is calling you to do, that you can’t have contentment – just say “ICTC!”

 

So – how do we get contentment?  “I Can thru Christ”  How do we learn to accept the good and the bad in our life? “I Can thru Christ.”  How do we have peace and joy and hope in the midst of adverse circumstances?  “I Can thru Christ.”

 

Does this passage teach us that we can do anything we put our minds too?  No, the strength, power, and ability is through Christ – but this is in the context of the will of Christ in your life

 

Consider this illustration-

The Santa Fe Railroad had an engine called the Super Chief. It ran from Los Angeles to Chicago. Imagine the train saying  – “I am the Super Chief – I can do all things that I want to do.  I go through the highest pass a train can travel, I am a mighty train.

 

For years people got off at Williams, Arizona to see the Grand Canyon. Suppose the Super Chief decides one day to go look at it himself – so he jumps the track to go look.  Will it succeed? One day the train did jump the tracks on the Grand Canyon side – but it was a total wreck.

 

You see, while it was on the tracks, it was the mighty Super Chief, but when it left the tracks – it became a hopeless mess of twisted metal.

 

We do the things that God has in store for us – or we become like the Super Chief.

 

The main thrust of this book is that we can have peace, joy, and hope in our adverse circumstances. 

 

Paul said he learned it was possible – and the secret is – “I Can Through Christ.”

 

As we continue to learn from the great Apostle Paul, tomorrow we will continue to learn about our contentment in Christ.

 

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------