Monday, July 20, 2020

THE GOSPEL OF JOY IN ADVERSE CIRCUMSTANCES - PHILIPPIANS - THE GREAT RESOURCES

TEXT: Philippians 4: 10-23 (CSB) – “I rejoiced in the Lord greatly because once again you renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me but lacked the opportunity to show it. I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I find myself. I know how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through him who strengthens me. Still, you did well by partnering with me in my hardship. And you Philippians know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving except you alone. For even in Thessalonica you sent gifts for my need several times. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that is increasing to your account. But I have received everything in full, and I have an abundance. I am fully supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you provided—a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send you greetings. All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar’s household. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.”

 

 

What a book!  What a living testimony – from a man who learned how to be content. This is real “Rubber meets the Road” Christianity What a grand way to end this letter of thanksgiving. The Philippians had met Paul’s need out of their poverty – Paul reminds them that God will meet their need out of His riches in Jesus Christ.

 

Let’s think about this verse and some GREAT things found in it.

 

The first thing we discovered was a GREAT NEED. Paul then made us aware of a GREAT HELPER. We will saw the GREAT SUPPLIER. Today, Paul reminds us about the GREAT RESOURCES.

 

Consider the Great Resources available to meet your need. God’s riches in Glory. The word in the original language that is used here – PLOUTOS – means abundance, or abundance beyond measure.

Consider what God has said about Himself in the Old Testament. Here are two places that He directed the Psalmist to write -

Psalm 50: 10 – “For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills.”

Psalm 50:12 – “The world is mine, and all that is in it…”

 

If I wanted to brag, I could say that my Daddy is the richest cattlemen there is!  My Daddy is the wealthiest oilman around! Because it all belongs to my Heavenly Father – God.

 

Take all the Billionaires combined – and their resources are paltry compared to God's!  And He uses it to meet our needs. 

 

That ought to make us PRAISE HIM!

 

However, we must remember that we are not deserving of any of this, but it is according to His mercy. It is not a debt, but according to His grace. We don’t have emptiness, but all fullness according to His fullness.

 

God has great riches. 

 

Great resources – and He meets our needs with them.

 

Today, mull over how blessed we are to be able to tap into the GREAT RESOURCES of God and have every true need we have supplied. Now, be careful as you do this – don’t make your own assumptions of how He will meet the need. But, He is able to meet that in full accordance with His Will.

 

Tomorrow, we will consider what Paul says about the GREAT AND GLORIOUS CHANNEL!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------