Sunday, July 19, 2020

THE GOSPEL OF JOY IN ADVERSE CIRCUMSTANCES - PHILIPPIANS - A GREAT SUPPLIER

TEXT: Philippians 4: 10-23 (CSB) – “I rejoiced in the Lord greatly because once again you renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me but lacked the opportunity to show it. I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I find myself. I know how to make do with little, and I know how to make do with a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through him who strengthens me. Still, you did well by partnering with me in my hardship. And you Philippians know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving except you alone. For even in Thessalonica you sent gifts for my need several times. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that is increasing to your account. But I have received everything in full, and I have an abundance. I am fully supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you provided—a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send you greetings. All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar’s household. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.”

 

 

What a book!  What a living testimony – from a man who learned how to be content. This is real “Rubber meets the Road” Christianity What a grand way to end this letter of thanksgiving. The Philippians had met Paul’s need out of their poverty – Paul reminds them that God will meet their need out of His riches in Jesus Christ.

 

Let’s think about this verse and some GREAT things found in it.

 

The first thing we discovered was a GREAT NEED. Paul then made us aware of a GREAT HELPER. Today, we will see about the GREAT SUPPLIER.

 

A great need, a great helper, and now a great supplier. Paul is talking about a total supply for the total need. He uses a Greek word – PLEROO – which means to make replete, to cram full.

 

Get that? Not just a little bit…

 

This word pictures something that is  “packed in.” Full to the brim. Over the top. No standing room. No vacancy. N…. Well, I hope you get the picture. Our English often loses the full intent of the Koinia Greek word that is in the original language. Supply pales in the picture of an overflowing, continuous, packed down, pressed in amount that God has. This same word is used in Eph. 5:18 – “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.”

 

Paul is instructing the Philippian believers (and us) about the fact that God’s supplies are infinite, abundant, inexhaustible, limitless, and boundless. I know I am being very repetitive – I just want you to see the big picture of what God can do. There is absolutely no one who is a bigger supplier than God.

 

Today, contemplate what God is able to do. I love Ephesians 3:20 where Paul instructs them that we serve a God that he refers to as “…him who is able to do above and beyond all that we ask or think….” Get that? Not only beyond what we can ask – but beyond what we can think. God is bigger than our wildest imaginations. Think about how strong God is – He is beyond that. Think about how much He can provide – He is beyond that. Thinks how big He is – He is beyond that.

 

Do you have any true need that God cannot meet? Talk to Him about it today.

 

Tomorrow, we will see THE GREAT RESOURCES.

 

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------