Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Depressed? Praise Him




July 24

Daily Bible Reading: Psalms 42 – 43

Verse of the Day: Psalm 42:11 – “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise him, Who is the help of my countenance, and my God.”

Three times in our reading today (42:5, 11; 43:5) we hear the heartfelt cry of one who is suffering from depression. In many of the Hebrew manuscripts, these two Psalms are considered one song. The writer of this song is expressing their desperate personal situation to God and requesting help. Most of us have at one time or another been in what one friend called the “mully-grubs.” These two songs can be seen as the writer’s longing for God’s presence, vindication and hope in God. The author sees that the answer to the feelings of despair comes from hope and praise of God. 

Prayer: Father, today I lift Your name on high, I praise You, trust You, and see You as my full hope. Amen.









No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------