Friday, February 1, 2019

Parables



February 1

Daily Bible Reading: Matthew 21:23 – 46 

Verse of the Day: Matthew 21:45 – “And when the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.”

Parables. Jesus often used these heavenly stories to explain earthly concepts. The Old Testament is written to those who thought in stories. Jesus at this point is still in the Old Testament economy of God. Thus, He uses stories – but not only stories, stories that are like wrapped gifts. The package needs to be peeled off to reach the wonder of the gift inside.

These stories reach different people in different ways, and effect each differently. The parable of the soils can reach 4 different types of people. The Prodigal Son reaches the father, the prodigal, and the jealous older brother differently.

Prayer: Father, as I ponder and study the stories (parables) that Your Son shares in the Gospels give me wisdom to understand. And, once I understand, give me strength to apply what You are teaching me in the correct way. My I have true ears to hear His Words. Amen.


No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------