Monday, June 3, 2019

Change of command standard




June 3

Daily Bible Reading: John 13:18 – 38

Verse of the Day: John 13:34 – “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”

The command to love was not new. Moses said in Lev. 19:18, “you shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The word in the Greek used here for new carries the meaning of being of a new kind, unprecedented, novel, uncommon, unheard of in substance.

Jesus did not change the command; He gave it a new standard to be measured by. Moses said we use our love for ourselves as the standard of love for those around us. Jesus said that the new standard was not ourselves, but Him. In yesterday’s readings, we saw the way that Jesus loved His disciples. He provided the example. Can we say that we truly love others in the same way that He loved? 

Prayer: Jesus, today I am asking for a heart and spirit to love all those around me as You have loved. I tend to pick and choose who I love, You offer love to all. May I learn to see others through Your heart of love. Amen.




No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------