Tuesday, February 18, 2020

WHO PUSHED ME?

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for the kingdom of heaven is theirs." Matthew 5:10  (CSB)


We come to the 8th and final Beatitude. If I had my choice, I would rather He had left this one out. I don’t like pain, suffering, persecution. But, Jesus was a realist – He knew that this had been happening and would happen to us also. So, to begin, let me share a humorous story –

A Texan billionaire with a beautiful, 22-year-old daughter, was fond of holding parties around his deep, opulent swimming pool. In the pool, he kept a vicious 20-foot great-white shark. Every party night he would issue a challenge to all the young men present: “Half my fortune, or my daughter’s hand in marriage to the man who swims across this pool!” Of course, he could never get a challenger. Then one night, immediately the challenge was issued, a tall, muscular hunk hit the water. With arms churning he charged across the pool like a speed-boat. In a wink, the shark sped after him closing in fast. The hunk reached the other side whipping out of the water just as the shark smashed into the concrete. The pool guests screamed and applauded the incredible hero.

“Bravo! Fantastic!” cried the Texan, “That’s the greatest act of courage I’ve ever seen. Half my fortune is yours!”

“I don’t want your fortune”, replied the hunk quietly.

With tears of pride in his eyes the Texan looking at his daughter who nodded excitedly, said, “I’d be so proud to call you son, you can have my daughter’s hand in marriage.”

“I don’t want your daughter either”, he replied.

“Well”, quizzed the Texan, “you don’t want my money or my daughter. What do you want?”

The hunk hissed through clenched teeth,

“Just get me the name of the guy who pushed me into the pool.”  

If we follow Jesus with our whole lives, we will get pushed into the pool. God never promises us that we will have an easy life. In fact, if you live for God in this world you will be persecuted. The life of a believer intimidates others.

As we examine this beatitude over the next couple of days, let’s note some ways true believers are persecuted and what our reaction to persecution should be.

No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------