Thursday, May 23, 2019

"I AM"



May 23

Daily Bible Reading: John 8:37 – 59

Verse of the Day: John 8:58 – “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.”

εγω ειμι. This is the Greek words used as “I am.” The use of these words in the Greek denotes self-identity in self-sufficiency. It is the words used in the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament) in Exodus 3:6, 14, which is translated “I AM WHO I AM.” This is the covenant name of God as given to Moses.

Jesus here was claiming to be the everlasting, self-existent God of the Universe. Some try to say that Jesus never claimed to be God, but we find many instances that He plainly spoke of His divinity. Not sure, read the next verse in this section, “They took up stones therefore to cast at him…” They understood what He said. They were going to stone Him for blasphemy. 

Prayer: Heavenly Father, as I study the life of Jesus, I see so plainly Who He is, and that He is the Eternal Son of God, God incarnate, the One through Who we come to You. Amen.






No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------