Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Morally Excellent



October 8

Daily Bible Reading: Philippians 4

Verse of the Day: Philippians 4:8 – “ Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

The Greek word αρετη translated virtue in this verse was used generously in Greek writings, but is actually rarely used in the New Testament. It appears only 5 times. It means (moral) goodness or excellence. Peter used it in 1 Peter 2:9 and is translated praises.

It generally is used of a person of excellence that is a quality only available from God. Only receiving the divine power to live and be morally excellent upon this earth. (2 Peter 1:3).

Prayer: Father, I long to be a person who can be labeled as a person of virtue. I seek this quality in my life. I know from Your Word that this is only available from You. As one of your children, I pray and seek to be a person of virtue, of moral excellence in this world that I live in. Cleanse me, fill me, use me. Amen.



No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------