Friday, September 20, 2019

Temporal Distress Brings Eternal Reward



September 20

Daily Bible Reading: 2 Corinthians 11:16 – 33 

Verse of the Day: 2 Corinthians 11:23 – “Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as one beside himself) I more; in labors more abundantly, in prisons more abundantly, in stripes above measure, in deaths oft.”

Paul says that he speaks as one beside himself, in other words, a fool. Paul was hesitant to brag about his spiritual accomplishments because he knew it was only God who made his preaching and service effective. He was the instrument, God was the One who played the melody.

Following this verse through verse 29, Paul recites a long list of physical sufferings, long travels, toils, and weaknesses that he had encountered in the ministry that God granted him. He understood that temporal distresses bring eternal rewards. 

Prayer: Father, as I strive to serve, give me the grace and strength to bear up under the various trials and distresses that serving You in this sinful world will come upon me. I know that all that I suffer for You in this world is small compared to the riches of eternity. Amen.






No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------