Monday, January 22, 2018

I AM THAT I AM




January 22

Daily Bible Reading: Exodus 1 – 3

Verse of the Day: Exodus 3:14 – “And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”

As God is instructing Moses, He declares His personal, covenant name – YHWH. We see it translated as I AM THAT I AM. This divine name is a declaration of God’s immutable self-existence, His pure being, nothing brought Him into existence nor could anything cause Him to cease existence. He always was, is, and will be. 

His name shows us that God is existence. In English grammar, a direct object generally can be exchanged for the subject – thus this could read, “Existence is God.” Nothing exists outside of Him, because He is the very essence of all existence. Nothing summarizes the nature of God better than His own name.

Prayer: Self-existent One, my Creator and Redeemer, because You were, are, and will be, help me follow You in full obedience today. Amen.




No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------