Monday, August 5, 2019

Earned wages versus free gift




August 5

Daily Bible Reading: Romans 6

Verse of the Day: Romans 6:23 – “For the wages of sin is death; but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Earned wages versus free gift. Actually, the term free gift is redundant. If it costs something, it is neither free nor a gift. The passage above helps us to see that eternal life is given to us without any work or purchase on our part. It is a gift.

The phrase eternal life is used 42 times in the New Testament, the majority meaning a gift we receive at the moment of our belief in the gospel. However, 11 times it is used as something to be attained. We can see from this that eternal life is not static. It is a growing, dynamic, and expanding relationship with Jesus Christ. When we live in obedience, we realize a full enjoyment of God’s gift of eternal life.

Prayer: Jesus, as I seek to be in obedience to Your Word, I grow in understanding of the marvelous gift You have given me in eternal life. My growing closer to You brings out more grace and more enjoyment as I walk through this world. I didn’t earn it, but I love it.



No comments:

Bible Gateway Scripture

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------